Do you want to create a mindfulness corner in your home? Mindfulness is all about being present and focused on the moment, without judgement.
It’s an art form that has been around for centuries, but it has also become increasingly popular as more people are looking for ways to reduce stress and improve their overall well-being.
What is mindfulness
Mindfulness is the practice of bringing your attention to the present moment without allowing your thoughts to drift (i.e., past regrets, future worries).
It’s about noticing when your mind is drifting and bringing it back to the present. It doesn’t matter what mindfulness is for you – maybe it means focusing on your breath or meditating each day; mindfulness can be anything that brings you into the moment in a healthy way!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you make a purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read my disclosure policy here.
Why should I practice mindfulness?
There are many reasons why mindfulness is becoming increasingly popular. For example, mindfulness can help reduce stress by helping you live in the moment instead of worrying about things that haven’t happened yet!
It’s also been shown to improve your overall physical and mental health by increasing feelings of happiness and reducing anxiety. Mindfulness has also been linked with improvements in memory, attention span and emotional regulation. Essentially, mindfulness helps us become more aware, so we don’t get stuck on negative thoughts or emotions.
It can also help you sleep better at night, which is excellent for your overall health.
How to practice mindfulness in your everyday life
How do I practice mindfulness? There are a few different ways to practice mindfulness: this could be meditating each day for 15-20 minutes, practising mindful eating (paying attention to how food tastes) or simply noticing when your mind wanders and bringing it back to the present moment.
However, you like to practice mindfulness, remember that there is no right or wrong – mindfulness can be anything that brings you into the present in a healthy way!
RELATED POST: 11 Powerful Ways to Cope With Anxiety
Benefits of practising mindfulness every day
- Mindfulness can help reduce stress by helping you live in the moment instead of worrying about things that haven’t happened yet.
- Ability to cope with sickness more effectively.
- Getting you back on your feet after an illness
- Depression Symptoms Are Improved
- Improved Overall Health
- Mindfulness has also been linked with improvements in memory, attention span and emotional regulation. Essentially, mindfulness helps us become more aware, so we don’t get stuck on negative thoughts or emotions.
Creating a mindfulness corner is simple.
Create a mindfulness corner in one of two ways: building upon an existing space (i.e., desk area) or starting fresh with nothing but items around yourself (books, candles, etc.)
You don’t need ample space, and it doesn’t even have to be in your bedroom. A mindfulness corner can just as quickly be near your bathroom or living room, so you’ll always know where to go when the time comes for mindfulness practice.
You could try using these ten awesome things to create your mindfulness corner! There are books, candles, pillows and water bottles included here, which will allow you to get started right away without having any additional purchases!
The first step is choosing what items will inspire mindfulness in this unique area of your home. Here are some ideas:
- Make sure there is enough room for meditation, yoga, or just sitting quietly with your thoughts.
- Decorate the space with calming colours and textures to help create a peaceful atmosphere
- A meditation cushion – for you to sit on while meditating
- A candle or other light source
- Crystals/stones that promote mindfulness/sleep, such as amethyst and jade, also come with healing properties!
- Place an inspirational quote on the wall that speaks to you.
- Add some house plants for colour and scent. Not only do they look great, but they clean the air too!
- Keep a journal handy to write down your thoughts, ideas, and inspirations that come up.
- Meditative music, like Gregorian chants or classical pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, etc., is instrumental-only – no lyrics, please!
- Essential oil diffuser – add essential oils like lavender, peppermint, or chamomile to a diffuser to help soothe and relax.
- Add mindfulness activities like mindfulness cards or mindfulness apps.
- An eye mask to block out light
- A small table to put your things on while you meditate (a side table is perfect for this)
Once you’ve picked those items out, all there’s left to do is create a personalised space that brings calmness into any moment through mindfulness! There are no rules here – play.
Mindfulness is mindfulness, regardless of what form it takes.
The mindfulness corner can be anything that brings you into the present in a healthy way- meditation, yoga, or just sitting quietly with your thoughts are all ways to practice mindfulness.
Mindfulness has helped me cope with my anxiety symptoms. If this sounds like something for you, too, create your mindfulness corner with these awesome things!